Today marks the one year anniversary of my move to Germany. This has been a very big year for me, and a lot has happened. So, I figured I would take this time to reflect on my expat life so far.
- On July 24th, I flew to Germany on a one-way ticket from Chicago to Hamburg
- I won the HGTV Globe Traveler competition for my picture in Lüneburg am Stintmarkt
- Marco and I went on a nine-day Italian vacation
- I applied for the German language course visa
- I started taking a C1/C2 TestDaF-prep course at the local VHS, and Marco gave my first Schultüte after class
- I got one of my first stick-shift driving lessons from Marco
- Marco and I celebrated our 2-year anniversary
- We moved into our new apartment on November 1, 2013
- We celebrated our second Thanksgiving in Germany together
- Marco and I celebrated our first Christmas in Germany together
- Marco and I celebrated New Year’s together for the first time ever!
- I experienced the mind-blowing deliciousness of raclette for the first time as well
- The rear window of Marco’s car was mysteriously smashed one morning
- I attended my last German class (of my life, hopefully)
- I applied for and received a German student application visa
- I received my results from the TestDaF
- Marco and I celebrated Easter together for the first time
- I applied for my Master’s in Germany
- I got caught in the World Cup madness
- Like, I mean really caught up in it
And now, it is July again already. During this past year, I never actually left Germany one time. I have really adopted it as my home, at least for now.
As I write this, I also cannot help but to think about what will be included on this list if I make it again one year from now. But my parents are currently visiting for two weeks, so I do not have any time for that right now.